Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Counting Down Days


It's been a while.  I'm two inches thinner.  Have a man bun.  Still hot (in both ways).  Found a church in my village. And twenty-one days till I step foot in America. 



My friends and family,


 I'm not necessarily sorry that I haven't written.  The dry season was hard and hot.  Most of us missionaries stopped writing for about 3 months.  I still think of you all daily.  But now instead of 3 months, I have exactly 3 weeks from today until I step foot inside the U.S., my beloved home, once again.  This is no new feet that man has not done before, gone away for a year, but it's been new to me in leaving for a year and not returning for holidays or anything in between.

There are a couple things I want to share with you..


I'm here as a volunteer, but also as a missionary.  Not to force people into Christ, but to walk amongst the people in fellowship, learn about them; and in that, I get to share my heart and experience as well. This is Life.

So let me jump right into it..


After 10 months of living here in Aoral, I discovered a church existed, already.  I'd like to think part of our work is to eventually begin the ground work of the future Church here in Cambodia.  This past Sunday I had the opportunity to go to a service. One of my students whom I teach piano plays guitar and lives at the church.  His name is Chharaty.  Why there are two H's, I don't know, but beside the point.  We call him T.  He's a bold and courageous for only being 16 or 17, and in a culture where his beliefs are a minority.  The service made me feel at home.  I had the opportunity to speak to the people.  During the service, which I mostly don't understand, I could feel a small presence that I haven't felt all year..God..amongst His people.  These people are my family, they welcomed me, and I knew they understood my heart and I understood theirs.  I encouraged the church and said there will be one coming after me.  We prayed for a sick lady, and we also prayed over a man, maybe 60 years old, who came to know the name of Christ that very day.  It is tradition that men and boys wear a belt, typically made of a thick string and usually tied and the held tightly all the way around with duct-tape.  This is a symbol and presumably blessed to keep ghosts or bad spirits away.  We cut this from him and burned it upon his request.  I told him after, you won't be needing that, now you have the name of Jesus.  I know some friends might think, trading one crazy thing for another, but, alas, I believe and know that this name has all authority in this world and realm.  


In other news!


I've been dealing with late year adjustments to eating the food here.  Along with about two weeks ago coming down with a stomach virus, which led to a trip to the doctor..which was an experience in itself.  But all went well and is mostly well.  I'm not so sure I have a bunch to share from my heart, though I'm excited to come home.  I miss family and friends and all that comes with my life at home.  I have much to be thankful for in this time and upon returning home..


Bullet Points Time...!


  • Rain has come and people have water
  • Still teaching English (very part time) at the high school - they have improved
  • Am now teaching 3 students piano and music
  • Still hot but cooler now
  • I've had 5 different phones since being here
  • Pizza on my mind 24/7
  • I'll be coaching soccer once again when I return home :)
  • T-Minus 21 days


The Church in Aoral District

The man to my left that surrendered his heart to love and peace..


Home


My very good friend Sophak and teacher Chamnap

Myself and Sophak
Myself and Kimsraw

Staff leaving party

Piano/ music students studying at the office
Again, Charraty and Netra holding up piano fingering charts

Daily Life across the street



A home deeper into the rural province of Aoral

Phnom Penh city, heading to the doctor
A typical breakfast at a restaurant in Kampong Speu.  Noodles with meat, bread, coffee, tea.




No comments:

Post a Comment